Paediatric training in the UK is currently 6-8 years after the first two foundation years. This is divided into three levels:
- Level 1: ST1-3 (you can omit ST3 if competencies are completed)
- Level 2: ST4-5
- Level 3: ST6-8 (you can omit ST8 if competencies are completed)
At Level 2 every trainee must complete six months in Neonates, General Paediatrics and Community Paediatrics.
At level 3, trainees have three training routes:
- Trainees can complete a portfolio of jobs throughout the final three years, enabling them to gain a CCT in General Paediatrics.
- Trainees can apply for Grid training. This is nationally organised and enables trainees to use Level 3 years to train in a subspecialty.
- Trainees can apply for Academic training.