Applicants to Medicine and Dentistry

All applications to Universities are made through Universities and Colleges Admissions (UCAS) and should be submitted before the 15 October closing date.  The UCAS application includes a personal statement.  For tips on how to improve your personal statement see the 'How can I improve my application' section.

Medical schools may ask you to complete an entrance assessment.  Many use the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT).  You normally need to do this before the end of September in the year you are applying i.e. before you submit your application.  Other entrance exams include the GAMSAT and BMAT.   GAMSAT is generally used only on graduate entry programmes.  You need to check with the Medical schools you are considering about the entrance test they use.  A comprehensive list is available on the Medschoolsonline website, although it is important to check with individual universities for any updated information.

Most dental schools require that applicants take the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) by the end September in the year of application, although you must register in advance. Depending on the dental school you are applying to, you may need to sit additional entrance exams so it is important to check the entry requirements prior to making an application.

If you are an international student considering Medicine or Dentistry in the UK, you will need to contact Medical and Dental schools directly for further details.

For detailed information on applying to Medicine or Dentistry, including information on producing an effective personal statement, please click on the relevant career title.