The Quality pages contain information on the School of Paediatrics Policies and Procedures. Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact Adele Simpson or Kelly Baxter.
The Northern School of Paediatric offers a 6-12 months Out of Programme Experience (OOPE) to paediatric trainees with an interest in Global Child Health. This is a collaboration with the MRC in The Gambria and the program is led by Dr Steve Owens, Paediatric ID consultant at Great North Children’s Hospital.
Further information can be found on the MRC website and applications are currently open to commence in September 2020. Applications (covering letter and CV) to Dr Stephen Owens deadline 5pm 15 December 2019.
Trainee successful at interview will need to apply for OOPE via the OOP application process (following local guidelines above).
- School Board - The school board takes place three times a year and discusses stratetgic matters in the school of paediatrics. Trainee representatives and lay representative are invited to this meeting. OOP applications are discussed prior to the school board.
Future School board dates 2020:
|Date of school board
||Deadline for OOP applications
|Tuesday 11 February 2020
||28 January 2020
|Friday 15 May 2020
||1 May 2020
- Operational Group - The Operational group takes place three times a year approximately six weeks prior to the school board to discuss operational matters in the School of Paediatrics. Feedback on this meeting is discussed at the School Board. Trainee represetnatives are invited to this meeting.
- Rotation surveys - The school send out a rotatoin surveys to trainees after each six month rotation. Trainees are encouraged to complete this as it enables us to quality control the posts we offer qand ensure trainees are getting the training posts advertise in their trust descriptors.
- GMC surveys - In addition to the school surveys the GMC survey takes place annually which enables the school to see overall the qualtiy of training we provide. the outcomes of the GMC and School survey help us to continually improve training in the Trusts and the region.
- School visits - School visits happen on a three year cycle. We are back to the beginning of our three year cycle in 2019 and will visit the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Freeman Royal Hopsital. In 2020 we will visit University Hospital of North Tees, Great North Childrens Hospital and County Durham and Darlington Foundation Trust (University Hospital of North Durham and Darlington Memorial Hospital). In 2021 we plan to visit Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (North Tyneside District General Hospital and Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital), City Hospitals Sunderland (Sunderland Royal Infirmary), North Cumbria Hospitals NHS Trust (West Cumberland and Carlisle Infirmary) and South Tees Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (James Cook University Hospital). GMC survey results and rotational survey results help inform and guide Trust visits.