Supported Return to Training
Supported Return to Training (SuppoRTT) is a centrally funded Health Education England (HEE) initiative which aims to support ALL trainees to safely and confidently return to training after a sustained period of absence.
The programme applies to ALL trainees who are absent for a period of three months or more, regardless of the reason. Those who are absent for a shorter period may also access support.
As returning trainees are a diverse group, SuppoRTT aims to provide a bespoke, individualised package for each returning trainee, rather than a single ‘one size fits all’ approach. The SuppoRTT initiative consists of:
- A structured and systematic process for planning absence, maintaining contact whilst out and planning for your return
- A menu of supported Return To Training Activities that can be built into an individualised return-to-training plan
- Funding to support CPD activities and a supernumerary period dependent on the trainees individual needs
If you have been absent for a period of 3 months or more, it is strongly recommended that you follow our Supported Return to Training Guidance. It has been designed to be flexible and take into account the differing nature and length of absence, as well as the speciality and stage of your training, to ensure that you can safely and confidently return to practice.
HEE is providing Local Education Providers and Schools with the opportunity to bid for investment to expand an existing approach or develop a new idea that relates to creating and imbedding a supportive return to practice for doctors and dentists in training.
Examples include (but are not limited to):
- “Brain storming” events for departments, trainers, medical staffing departments, medical education departments, etc to consider mechanisms to support trainees
- Specialty-specific developments within Schools to support returners
- “Boot camps” and course development
- Trust-based support groups for trainees, with identified objectives
- Enhanced induction
- Developing resources available to trainees
- Backfill of educator or manager time to develop course
For more information, please contact:
Dr James Graham (SuppoRTT Clinical Lead)
Mr Sohom Maitra (Deputy SuppoRTT Clinical Lead)
Ms Alyson Williamson (Senior Business Manager, Learner Support and Faculty Development)