Building the workforce for the future
The Dental Therapists Foundation Training programme (DTFT) has been developed to support new or recently qualified Dental Therapists during their transition into the Primary Dental Care workforce.
The Scheme places particular emphasis on providing continued support and education in a clinical environment, as well as assisting the development of personal skills and knowledge through the educational study day programme and supported by Educational Supervisors and the Training Programme Director.
Covering the North East and North Cumbria, the scheme runs from 1st September until 31 August each year. Therapists are employed within training practices and allocated an approved Educational Supervisor to provide practice supervision.
New Enhanced Programme for 2020
For our September 2020 programme we are introducing placements in additional services and specialties.
These include Outreach Oral Health Education, Community and Paediatric Dentistry. We also have an option for 1 day per week in academic research at Newcastle Dental Hospital.
Why Foundation Training?
Foundation Dental Therapists benefit from:
- 12 month employed full time placement in primary care NHS Practice, 3 days per week and 2 days on our enhanced programme
- 18 organised study days based at our clinical facility in Durham
- Over 100 hours of CPD
- Support of of a dedicated Educational Supervisor in practice
- Support and networking from your peers
- Access to the National e-portfolio for Foundation Training
2019-20 training practices
2020-21 training practices
Should you have any queries please contact Barbara Briggs on 0191 2754792 firstname.lastname@example.org