Learning Disabilities and Autism Workforce
Virtual Oral Health Training
We offer training for staff working with those with learning disabilities and/or autism.
The course will explore the role of staff working with learning disabilities clients, It will give practical advice on oral health conditions and their management and risk factors for dental disease. Our virtual training sessions are delivered by our team of experienced oral health educators and will cover the following topics:
- The importance of a good oral hygiene routine and the impact it can have on general health
- The reasons for oral health deterioration in patients with learning disabilities and autism
- The oral risk factors for dental disease typically impacting on the patient with learning disabilities and autism
- An effective toothbrushing technique along with toothbrush adaptations and discuss the relevance of fluoride toothpaste and mouthwashes
- Skills to clean a mouth and support your client through the process
- The importance of regular dental examinations and NHS treatment, bands, costs and exemptions which may apply to your clients.
- 1 hour training session delivered via MS Teams
- To book a free session, please e-mail email@example.com
- For more information, please see our link to our latest brochure
In conjuction with Learning Disability week 2021, we worked with partners to produce a video to outline the steps you can take to provide a positive experience for those with learning disabilities and autism visiting the dentist.
The film features Charlotte, Senior Community Dentist and Chair of England Community Dental Services Committee (ECSDC), and Gary, an actor with a learning disability who is part of the MiXit theatre group.
To learn more about Makaton and access free resources, please visit the Makaton Library – create a free login and search for ‘Your dental appointment’
We have produced some useful links and resources to support the learning disabilities workforce.
Please click here for useful links and resources