Dental Therapist Foundation Training Educational Supervisor Applications
NHSE Workforce, Training and Education Northeast are accepting applications from experienced GDPs and Dental Therapists for Foundation Dental Therapist (FDT) Educational Supervisors within the region.
Being an Educational Supervisor for a Foundation Dental Therapist can be very rewarding and brings with it additional opportunities. Many Educational Supervisors relish the opportunity to develop the skills of the therapists of the future as well as enhancing their own.
Becoming an Educational Supervisor is a great way to introduce dental therapy to your practice and help your own career development. Here’s what two of our current ESs have to say:
Nick Marshall, Educational Supervisor
‘As an educational supervisor on the therapy scheme, I find it very rewarding to use my experience to help mentor a new graduate. Seeing someone progress from an inexperienced starter to a competent independent clinician under your guidance is very satisfying.
There are benefits to patient care as I feel happier booking longer appointments for those patients that would benefit from it without as much concern about the financial implications.
Supervising someone else also encourages me to reflect on my own practice and ensure that I am maintaining good standards. I am also given access to training opportunities through the deanery.
I have more control over the sorts of treatment I want to complete. Being able to refer straightforward restorative treatment allows me to focus on the more complex work that I find engaging. It also allows me to share the management of high needs patients who may require long treatment plans.
It offers variety to my day-to-day practice. Tutorials, hands on supervision and assisting on study days can offer a welcome change to the sometimes monotonous realities of clinical practice.’
Clare Hindmarch, Educational Supervisor
‘I enjoy my role as an Educational Supervisor for the Therapy Scheme. It is a valuable experience to mentor a newly qualified clinician in the early days of their career and allows me to develop my own reflective practice and ensure I maintain excellent standards in my clinical work. I enjoy the variety it brings to my working week and has encouraged my practice to work on our team referrals to fully utilise the scope of a Dental Therapist. ‘
Applications and accompanying documents must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of midnight Sunday 14 January 2024.
Please title the email “Educational Supervisor application” and attach all the required documents which must be named accordingly.
Applications received by noon Thursday 28 December 2023 will be checked and you will be given the opportunity to resubmit any missing information by the above closing date.
- Handwritten applications will not be accepted
- Late applications will not be accepted
- Applications which are unsigned and/or incomplete and fail to include all documentation will not be progressed
- All applications will be verified and only those which are complete and correct will be accepted to take part in the Educational Supervisor appointment process
- As part of the long listing process, we will check the GDC website for verification of your registration number, date of registration and any listed restrictions or conditions. We will also check the CQC website to ensure there are no areas of non-compliance for the practice
FDT ES Role Profile
FDT ES Recruitment Policy V3
FDT Finance Information
Longlisting and Shortlisting Criteria V2
The application comprises of five parts
1. Application form (to be completed electronically)
2. Educational Supervisor practice: list of essential and desirable requirements (to be completed electronically)
3. Sample Provider letter for applicants who are Performers/ noncontract owners only
4. Monitoring information (to be completed electronically)
5. List of essential documents to be submitted with your application
Recruitment Timeline for 2024/25 Academic Year:
Monday 4 December 2023 Application process opens
Thursday 28 December 2023 Deadline for pre checking applications
Midnight, Sunday 14 January 2024 Closing date for applications
Week commencing 15 & 22 January 2024 Application longlisting and shortlisting
February & March 2024 Practice Visits
Friday 22 March 2024 Assessment & Feedback course for new applicants (to be held in Durham)
Tuesday 23 or Wednesday 24 April 2024 (TBC) Face to Face assessment (to be held in Durham)
Week commencing 29 April 2024 Candidates notified
Thursday 13 June 2024 Mandatory training event for new and returning ESs (to be held in Durham)
Friday 21 June 2024 Mandatory training event for all ESs – (to be held in Durham)
Monday 24 & Tuesday 25 June 2024 Mandatory Educational Supervisor/ Foundation Dentist matching events.
- Equality and Diversity course completed within the last three years
- University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) Facilitating Learning in a Healthcare Practice. Registration with any similar educational course will be acceptable at this stage subject to it being at Postgraduate certificate level or greater. Not a mandatory requirement for the first year of training.
- Venue: Online teaching
- Dates for January 2024 cohort:16 January, 13 February, 27 February, 27 March, 2 April 2024
- Dates for September 2024 cohort: 12 September, 3 October, 24 October, 14 November, 5 December
- January 2024 application deadline: 9 December 2023
- Fee: £1000
- To enrol: Set up an account and search for the Facilitating Learning in a Healthcare Practice course commencing the new date. For queries regarding the application process email email@example.com
- If appointed, on completion of the course and proof of certificate, the course fee may be reimbursed (subject to available funding)
Details for the recruitment of Dental Foundation Training (DFT) Educational Supervisors can be found here.