Keeping in Touch Scheme
A programme to support NHS dentists, dental therapists, dental hygienists and dental nurses taking a prolonged career break
The Directorate has set up a programme to support dentists and DCPs working in the NHS who are taking a career break in excess of six months. Suitable applicants may be eligible to enrol on the Directorate’s Keeping in Touch Scheme (KITS) programme.
Enrolment on the Scheme provides access to the following benefits:
- Support to produce an annual Personal Development Plan at a meeting with a member of the Directorate’s Clinical Education Team.
- For returning dentists, access to a Directorate-based ‘Induction to the NHS Course’ within the 6 months before returning to NHS practice, if necessary.
- Access to up to 15 hours of Directorate commissioned Lifelong Learning courses each calendar year during the KITS period, subject to availability. These courses will be identified with reference to the Personal Development Plan.
- Access to the dental reference library at the Dental Education and Training Centre at Bourne House.
- The opportunity to revisit your clinical skills at our Clinical Skills Lab at Bourne House in the month before returning to work.
Conditions of Membership of the Scheme:
- Dentist applicants must have worked in a dental practice as a ‘Performer’ providing NHS dental services in the Directorate area for a minimum of one year prior to applying to join the Scheme. Applicants must be on the NHS Performer List throughout their membership of the Scheme.
- DCP applicants must have worked in a dental practice providing NHS dental services in the Directorate area for a minimum of one year prior to applying to join the scheme.
- Membership of the KITS Scheme is for a maximum of 2 years in any one period, although further periods of membership are possible following a return to work.
- All applicants must be on the GDC register at the time of applying and throughout the membership of the Scheme; applicants must not be under GDC investigation by the GDC or NHSE Local Team, or have conditions placed upon their registration
- Applicants who are supported through the Directorate’s Restoring the Efficiency of Registrants programme are not also eligible for membership of KITS.
- Applicants must state their intention to return to NHS primary care dental practice at a date in the future; all applicants must be able to demonstrate having had a commitment to NHS dental practice for at least three days per week for a minimum of one year prior to applying to join the Scheme.
- Scheme members may not undertake any paid dental activity whilst members of the Scheme, without the prior written permission of the Postgraduate Dental Dean.
- The applying dentist or DCP must meet with an allocated member of the Directorate’s Clinical Education team, prior to being accepted into the Scheme. A Personal Development Planning meeting must be held with the allocated member of the Directorate’s Clinical Education team within one month of joining the Scheme.
- Application Form
- The Directorate reserves the right to withdraw the Scheme, in whole or in part, at any time.
- The Directorate reserves the right to refuse or terminate membership of the Scheme, at its sole discretion.
- The Directorate reserves the right to alter or amend the conditions and requirements at any time. Where possible, advance notice of any changes will be given to Scheme members.