List of Useful Websites - click here!
Generic resouce produced by a collaborative group with the BDA / BDA Benevolent Fund / PHE and The Dentist Health Support Trust. It is available for the whole Dental Team
"Local Dental Referral Pathways during the COVID-10 Pandemic" webinar
The aim of this course is to enable GDPs and DCPs to understand and apply locally and nationally agreed criteria for patient triage and appropriate referral to urgent care centres (dental hubs). A virtual panel consisting of various stakeholders will clarify national guidance and local NHS England expectations of practices in relation to the provision of urgent treatment.
This programme has been created by Health Education England e-Learning for Healthcare (HEE e-LfH) in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic. The programme includes key materials to help the health and care workforce respond to Coronavirus.
Content now available in the COVID-19 programme includes:
- Essential Guidance from the NHS, UK Government, WHO and BMJ Public Health England
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Infection Prevention and Control Resources for Staﬀ
- Working in Critical Care Setting Resources for Staff Working in Community Setting
- End of Life Care COVID-19
- Wellbeing for Staff
Further content will be added in the coming days and weeks.
Dental SCRIPT is an e-learning programme which improves prescribing competency and safety among dentists. It consists of eight modules covering a range of dental prescribing situations.
e-Learning for Healthcare
e-Learning for Healthcare is a HEE programme which works in partnership with NHS and professional bodies to support patient care by providing e-learning. In the past, it has not been possible to download GDC e-CPD compliant certificates for all courses which are helpful to dental teams. We have worked with e-Learning for Healthcare to generate Enhanced GDC CPD compliant certificates for the following courses:
- Alcohol and Tobacco brief interventions
- Conflict Resolution Level 1
- Data Security Awareness Level 1
- e-IRMER Ionising Radiation (medical exposure)
- Equality, Diversity and Human Rights
- Female Genital Mutilation
- Fire Safety Level 1
- Health, Safety and Welfare
- Infection Prevention and Control Level 1
- Infection Prevention and Control Level 2
- Making Every Contact Count
- Mental Capacity Act
- Moving and Handling Level 1
- Resuscitation Level 1
- Safeguarding Adults Level 1
- Safeguarding Adults Level 2
- Safeguarding Children Level 1
- Safeguarding Children Level 2
If you are not already registered with e-Learning for Healthcare, you will need to do this by accessing the e-Learning for Healthcare home page: https://www.e-lfh.org.uk/. Once logged in, the full list of programmes (including those featured in more detail below) is available on the e-LfH Hub “Full Catalogue” page. Once you have completed any of the above courses, you must first generate a course completion certificate from the e-LfH Hub.
Following this you must complete the relevant Enhanced CPD form, referring to the course completion certificate. The Enhanced CPD forms can be accessed from the bottom of the “Dentistry” page of e-LfH in the “Enhanced CPD” section https://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/dentistry/. Please note that both the relevant course Enhanced CPD form and the accompanying e-LfH Hub course completion certificate should be kept as evidence in your records to demonstrate you have completed verifiable CPD, should the GDC request it.
e-Learning for Healthcare – e-Den
e-Den is an engaging and interactive learning resource delivered through a partnership between the Royal College of Surgeons of England and Health Education England e-Learning for Healthcare.
The e-Den curriculum is designed to develop a competent, caring, reflective practitioner. Educational content covers many branches of dentistry and supports the continual professional development (CPD) of dental care professionals and experienced dentists.
Sessions have been written by subject specialists and are typically 20 minutes long. Users can dip in and out of the sessions as they wish. The aim is to provide an engaging and interactive learning resource that is compatible with a busy professional life.
GDC Enhanced CPD compliant CPD is available for all modules. The Enhanced CPD forms can be accessed from the bottom of the “Dentistry” page of e-LfH in the Enhanced CPD section https://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/dentistry/. Please note that both the relevant course Enhanced CPD form and the accompanying e-LfH Hub course completion certificate should be kept as evidence in your records to demonstrate you have completed verifiable CPD, should the GDC request it.
LookingAfterYouToo: individual coaching support for primary care staff
We recognise that our frontline primary care colleagues are facing unprecedented challenges through Covid-19. We are delighted to announce that staff are now able to access individual coaching support by video link or telephone with highly trained, experienced coaches.
This support is available to all clinical and non-clinical primary care workforce either employed by the NHS or contracted to deliver work on behalf of the NHS.
The aim is that this will provide staff with opportunities to process experiences, develop coping skills, deal with difficult conversations and develop strategies for self-management in difficult circumstances.
This service has been developed in collaboration with the Royal College of General Practitioners and will complement the wider range of health and wellbeing resources launched at www.people.nhs.uk.
Primary care staff can register at https://people.nhs.uk/lookingafteryoutoo/ and book individual coaching in a way and at a time of day that suits them.
Mental Health and Wellbeing
The following online courses are all provided free of charge and are available for all dental team members including those who are not on the dental register. The courses are:
- Change and Resilience – this course covers behaviour change and how to build personal resilience
- Mental Health: Body and Mind – this course explains the links between physical and mental health and enables learners to establish routines beneficial for the mind and body
- Managing Stress and Anxiety – this course will assist learners to manage everyday causes of anxiety and resultant stress
- Work-Life Balance – this course explores the balance between work commitments and other interests to support learners to achieve a work-life balance which improves their health.
To enable an inclusive approach for all practice team members to avail of this support, it is not necessary to input a GDC number as part of the registration process. All participants can download a certificate which demonstrates two hours CPD for each course. For those with a GDC number, this certificate complies with the GDC Enhanced CPD requirements.
We hope that this initiative will be welcomed by practices and individuals to address and demonstrate their engagement in supporting the important issue of the mental health and wellbeing of all the team.
NHS Leadership: Edward Jenner Programme
The Edward Jenner programme has been designed for aspiring leaders in the NHS. The online course is practical and patient-focused, and helps delegates understand the purpose, challenges and culture of the NHS. It offers support and learning to build personal resilience, confidence and capabilities which individuals can take back to their organisation.
The programme is online, free to access and can be studied in your own time; successful completion leads to an NHS Leadership Academy Award in Leadership Foundations.
The aim of this course is to introduce the dentist who has recently started working in NHS dental practice to the NHS Regulations which govern the provision and claiming of dental treatment in primary care.
At the end of this resource the dentist will be able to:
- Discuss the NHS Regulations which govern the claiming of dental treatment in primary care
- Identify what to charge NHS patients and who is exempt from charges
- Recognise when to provide private treatment to patients
- Apply the NHS Regulations to claim for the management of a patient with a dental emergency
- Embrace ethical claiming within the NHS Regulations