The NHS already has a Net Zero target launched by Sir Simon Stevens in 2020, requiring NHS organisations to achieve a zero-carbon footprint of facilities, travel, anaesthetics by 2040 and everything else by 2045.
Doctors and Dentists in training report sporadic awareness and understanding of current methods to reduce waste. HEENE worked to introduce a Faculty of Sustainable Healthcare who work to increase awareness of sustainability and embed good practice across the local area, helping organisations achieve climate impact reduction targets.
The Faculty of Sustainable Healthcare of HEE NE, responsible to the HEENE Postgraduate Dean, are a group who have set out clear aims to:
- Improve awareness of the environmental impact of healthcare to all staff working within HEENE (within both clinical and operational settings)
- Develop an education package to outline best practice for sustainable healthcare – improving knowledge on carbon literacy and environmental impact of healthcare to all staff working across the region.
- Develop a network of sustainability champions across HEENE to share best practice and case study examples within the region
- Embed sustainable practice within HEENE and become a region that leads in sustainable healthcare provision.
All workshops are offered through HEE NE at a discounted rate of £30 per course.
Please use the links below to register for
Introduction to Sustainable Healthcare:
course offers an overview of the relationship between health, the health sector
and the climate and ecological crises.
1. Self Study: A 4-6 hour interactive online package with case studies which opens 3 weeks before your booked course. After working through the materials you are invited to identify a sustainability project you would like to undertake in your setting (optional).
2. Workshop: A 4-hour small group online workshop facilitated by regional experts to answer questions and help design and implement a sustainability project.
3. Mentoring: A 2-hour Sustainable Healthcare Café offer a friendly and informal setting in which to build networks and receive/offer advice from experts and peers on sustainability projects. Attend as often as you wish.
Please check back later for 2023 workshop dates:
28 June 2023 - 1pm - 5pm: https://fast.ncl.ac.uk/training/book/2172/
Further Info: https://sustainablehealthcare.org.uk/courses/introduction-sustainable-healthcare
Green Champions Hub
You can also check out our Green Champions Hub. It's a one stop shop that has everything you could possibly need to get you started on your sustainability journey: https://www.nhsfindyourplace.co.uk/greenchampionshub/